Table of Contents
What is heavy cream?
Heavy cream is the slightest refined dairy product which happens to come from milk. The manufacturing procedure of cream is easy and uncomplicated and requires skimming the high-butterfat layer from the typical milk. Fresh milk that has to go through homogenization naturally has this creamy top layer.
Difference between heavy and whipping cream
There are some negligible differences listed below:
- Heavy cream typically accommodates 36% butterfat but whipping cream contains only 30%
- Due to fat content difference, heavy cream has a denser texture and become firmer after being whipped
- Contrastingly, whipping cream makes a bit softer, fluffier, and lighter cream when it is being whipped
Both these creams are fine options, it depends on the required characteristics.
Nutrition facts of heavy cream
Some heavy cream nutrition facts are as follows:
- Sugars: 2.9g
- Carbohydrates: 2.7g
- Calories: 340 kcal
- Protein: 2.8g
- Fiber: 0g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.6
- Monounsaturated Fat: 9.1
- Saturated Fat: 23.1g
As listed above, heavy cream contains a huge quantity of fat (saturated). It has a small number of proteins and fats.
- Thiamine (B1): 2% DV
- Riboflavin (B2): 15% DV
- Niacin (B3): 0.4% DV
- Pantothenic acid (B5): 10% DV
- Vitamin B6: 2% DV
- Vitamin-A (retinol): 45% DV
- Vitamin-E: 6% DV
- Vitamin-D: 8% DV
- Vitamin K: 3% DV
- Folate: 1% DV
- Choline: 3% DV
- Selenium: 5% DV
- Phosphorus: 5% DV
- Calcium: 5% DV
- Zinc: 2% DV
- Magnesium: 2% DV
- Potassium: 2% DV
- Copper: 1% DV
- Sodium: 1% DV
- Manganese: 0.5% DV
- Iron: 1% DV
Advantages of Heavy Whipping Cream
- In one study, it is observed that those people who reported to consuming full-fat dairy products in the highest amount are less likely to have belly fat and fewer chances to become obese rather than those who reported to consuming low intake.
- The human body can digest fat-soluble vitamins more properly when they are taken with fat, like such fat in heavy cream.
- Another research states that when they compare the low-fat dietary approach to stop high blood pressure to a high-fat dietary approach which contains full-fat creamy products and 40% fat. Results reveal that both these dietary approaches help in reducing blood pressure, but the diet which has higher-fat had the benefit of lowering very-low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) and maintaining high-density lipoprotein.
- In addition, heavy cream nutrition facts are found to be healthier as compared to various highly refined low-fat goods that take as cream alternates, like whipped topping and coffee creamers.
Health Advantages of Heavy Cream
Over the past decades, most of us started to fear dietary fat because of the low-fat dairy health promotions and low-fat instructions. Nonetheless, believing that every kind of fat is unhealthy is extremely wrong and misplaced by people. The truth is that if you intake natural sources of any kind of fat in sensible amounts then there is nothing to fear it will also include many health benefits. Below are some health benefits of heavy cream.
Heavy Cream Includes a Healthy Root of Fat
Dietary fat is very important for most processes in the human body, so everyone must accept the health benefits it offers.
- Heavy cream and other full-fat creamy products have several health-boosting minerals and vitamins, inclusive of fat-soluble vitamins E, D, K, and A.
- We intake these necessary vitamins inside the intestines, giving that adequate fat is present. Specifically, vitamin A and K’s plant sources have very little bio-availability without a sufficient number of dietary fats.
- Full-fat creamy products have more fat-soluble vitamins as compared to their fat-free and low-fat counterparts.
Heavy Cream is comparatively much lower in lactose
- There are very few amounts of milk sugar lactose found in heavy cream compared to milk. It is quite beneficial for people who are sensitive to lactose and might not affect people who tolerate lactose well.
- Strangely, after crossing an early after of eleven, more than 65% of the population of the world suffers from lactose intolerance.
- In East Asia, people sensitive to lactose are high up to 90% whereas in North Europe it is as low as 5%.
- Talking about lactose tolerance, milk has 5% lactose which means 15 grams is sugar milk in a single cup, whereas, heavy cream contains 3% lactose which is comparatively less.
Disadvantages of Heavy Cream
- Heavy cream has a very high content of calories, 400 calories (119g) per1\2 cup. Thus, it will be easy to consume this much quantity occasionally.
- Approximately, 65% of the population is lactose intolerant and they need to keep away themselves from heavy whipped cream and other dairy products.
- Researches reveal that dairy products may increase the production of mucus in many individuals, even those individuals who are not supposed to be allergic or intolerant.
- It is found that intake of dairy products is linked with rapidly increased risk of a certain type of cancers, such as the prevalence of stomach cancer is relatively high in those who consume a high quantity of dairy products as compared to those who do not.
- Also, various heavy cream has additives, like sodium caseinate and carrageenan. They are linked with intestinal damage when taken in high doses.