Table of Contents
Energy drinks which are good for one’s health, are very rare. Many energy drinks have more negative than positive feat to them, but still many people prefer it over regular drinks.
In this article, we will dig deep into the world of energy drinks and talk about world energy drink competitors Bang and Reign.
What is an energy drink?
Why do people even drink an energy drink? Just as the name suggests, these types of drinks give us a boost of energy. It has either normal or synthetic caffeine added to it in quite a generous amount, which normally gives us the energy we need.
Normally an energy drink contains a high level of stimulants (caffeine), sugar, sometimes vitamins, and carnitine. These drinks often come in various flavors varying from malt to cherry and grapes.
Energy drinks are often consumed mostly by teens and young adults, adding from 17 to 35. A burst is all you need to get through a day full of assignments and projects or papers and fieldwork. Energy drink is more famous among men than women.
There are thousands of energy drinks out there, and while the USA seems to be the main manufacturer of caffeine-related drinks, Sweden is actually on the top for most consumption of caffeine in a day. The target market for these energy drinks are mainly teenagers with a pinch of young adults.
Since caffeine is a basic ingredient which everyone holds the knowledge of, other main ingredients in energy drinks include;
- Ginseng: as shocking as it seems, almost every energy drink has ginseng added to it. This east Asian herb has anti-fatigue properties; it is also said to promote one’s memory and increase energy while relieving stress.
- Guarana: Guarana is a South American plant, and the extract of its seeds are also most often than not, the main ingredient within many energy drinks. If a normal arabica coffee has 1-2% caffeine, then guarana has 3 – 4% caffeine.
- Vitamin B: the whole loads of vitamin B are also added in many energy drinks. They are a supplement must for our body, and their deficiency can cause some serious effects. But it is still not yet declared whether they increase energy within our body or not. Nonetheless, they are still added in many energy drinks. The list of vitamin b includes; Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), Pantothenic acid (B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Folic acid (B9) and Cobalamin (B12).
- Sugar: Now, everyone knows that sugar is our body’s natural fuel. Glucose is very important for any human, and its deficiency can cause some major effects on our physical as well as psychological state. Sugar is a must ingredient in energy drinks all around the world.
- Taurine: Taurine is an amino acid that a human body naturally produces. Though the one used in energy drinks is artificially produced, taurine regulates our heartbeat and energy levels. Many different types of research have gotten the result that taurine can help lower cholesterol levels, raise the effectiveness of heart, better the muscle contractions, and helps with the flow of blood and oxygen within the body. Taurine, though, isn’t required in an insane quantity by our body, but many energy drinks have it as one of the key ingredients.
- Gingko Biloba: Gingko Biloba is a rare tree in china. Ancient people used to include Gingko in their daily diet. This rare herb is known for increasing concentration and fights against mental tiredness. Although it is said to have many pros, there is also a conflict in research where super cons are also found from this certain plant.
- Carnitine: Carnitine is also an amino acid that is naturally made in the human liver and kidneys. This amino acid helps raise the speed of metabolism and also increase our energy levels, although we need it in a very small amount, the research of whether we need the supplements or not.
- Green Tea Extract: An amino acid known as Theanine is very helpful to calm the brain and increases concentration. This acid comes from green tea leaves. Green tea has many advantages and is very good to relax one’s mind and muscles and increases mental capabilities.
- Green Coffee Extract: These unroasted still newly born coffee beans thought doesn’t have the taste of a normal coffee bean but still has quite the caffeine to offer. It is said that green coffee extract helps in losing weight, but there is no proof for this statement.
- Yerba Mate: This is another type of leaves that are gained from a shrub. Yerba mate is also a natural source of caffeine but is said to be even safer than the caffeine from coffee and guarana.
- Acai Berry: This is one of the newly found ingredients of energy drinks. It grows on the Acai palm tree, mainly found in South America. This berry is very rich in antioxidants but is not very much on the mainstream yet, as it doesn’t have much flavoring.
- Inositol: Inositol was once a part of the B vitamin category but was removed as the human body naturally creates enough of it, and there is no need for supplements. Though the cons or disadvantages of consuming extra inositol are unknown, it is considered pretty much safe. Inositol is a type of carbohydrate made from breaking down of glucose.
- Milk Thistle: Milk thistle is also found in many energy drinks as it acts as a liver detoxifying agent. It doesn’t benefit the consumer in any way, but it is said to be good for relieving the hangover after the consumption of alcohol.
- Artificial sweeteners: Most energy drinks have artificial sweeteners as their main ingredient. Although it is said that the consumption of artificial sweeteners gains less weight, the consumer of natural sugar, but nothing has been proven as on another debate, the waistline of artificial sweeteners consumer is larger than the others. Whether good or not, this ingredient is also a key ingredient in many energy drinks.
This sums up the main ingredients, although it depends from one drink to the other of what ingredients they use, these ingredients mentioned above are 90% surely used.
Now coming to the main part of the article, properties and characteristics of the two most popular energy drinks out there; Reign vs Bang.
As stated in the opening line, energy drink rarely brings a positive effect on one’s health. But they are gaining fame no matter what anyone says. The two most competitive energy drinks out there are Reign Vs Bang. So, let’s get into this.
Are Bang and Reign the Same?
No. Bang is manufactured by an American pharmaceutical company, Vital Pharmaceuticals Inc. this corporation is located in Florida. While Reign is manufactured by Monster Beverage Inc, also an American company based in California.
Monster beverage inc has many other famous energy drinks such as NOS, Monster Energy, and Reign, and while Bang only produces subsidiaries of bang, like Bang pre-workout, Bang keto coffee, and such.
Is Reign owned by Bang?
Again, it is no. Reign is not owned by Bang. They are both products of different companies which compete. Although they are not similar, Bang filed a lawsuit against Reign back in 2019. The CEO of the Bang had said some harsh words against Reign in the press release about the lawsuit.
They stated that “As plainly evident, the knockoff version of Reign is nearly identical and confusingly similar to VPX’s own aesthetically appealing and distinctive Bang trade dress.”
The battle was made one-sided as Monster Inc. refused to speak about it or have a press release of any sort, which triggered the next statement of the Bang CEO.
“There is a 40-foot blue whale called REIGN energy drink flopping around the living room that Monster tries to ignore. But this REIGN, a whale cannot be ignored, because it is perhaps one of the most egregious examples of intellectual property infringement that consumers—and now the courts—have likely seen in the past decade!”
This was a real Reign Vs Bang issue that promoted the drinks more than usual advertisements.
Which has more caffeine, Bang vs. Reign?
As discussed earlier in the article, caffeine acts as stimulants in many energy drinks. While coffee and tea have natural caffeine, energy drinks mostly have synthetic caffeine. Reign contains 300mg of caffeine. Almost a hundred mg more than a regular cup of espresso. While Bang now also contains 300 mg, before it used to have 357 mg espresso, but the numbers were reduced because of another ingredient in the bang, known as Super Creatine.
(Super Creatine is a form of amino acid which is located in the body muscles and the brain. This amino acid helps with energy. Since amino acids are building blocks for protein, they help in muscle repair and building.)
On the lesser note, if we observe the other ingredients or differences, Reign has more Niacin than a bang and more Sodium as well, while bang contains vitamin C, which Reign does not.
More: you can also compare with caffeine in Red Bull
Is Bang energy drinks good or not?
Bang is not dangerous for one’s health, but many believe it has no positive trait either. Many people misunderstand the properties of Creatine and Caffeine. While drinking more than one can a day affect negatively, drinking one can not affect. Bang energy drinks more or less give a boost of energy for the time being. None of the flavors or ingredients brings any harm to anyone. Yes, they certainly do not harm, but making bang energy drinks a routine or taking in more than advised, is not very smart and might affect you negatively. Bang energy drink does appeal to many sportsmen, but it is hardly of any greatness.
While on the other hand, reign seems to have similar properties of bang energy drink with no sugar, carbs, or fat. While sugar is not a part of both drinks, they both have sucralose, which is an artificial sweetener. This is the reason why they both taste sweet without having sugar.
Sucralose, even if it is artificial sweetener, does not do much to reduce your calories. It is still a sweetener, whether natural or artificial. If you want a zero or sugar-free drink, you need to avoid artificial sugar as well. Sucralose, if administered in high quantity, it can increase blood glucose and insulin level in blood.
To sum up the entire article, many people drink energy drinks for the temporary boost it provides, even though afterward, it leaves you tired, exhausted, and just lazy. For everything and anything, none of the energy drinks is proven to be healthy, although both Reign and Bang are a healthier choice in energy drinks, they are still not healthy for anyone to consume daily or more than advised. You should think of natural drinks like tea or green tea or coffee even. Even if they seem harmless, in the long run, they are still not worth much for a few hours of high energy and nothing at all afterward.
But even if they are not healthy really, the general public seems to like reign more than a bang as the taste and energy boost of reign is far greater than a bang. Meanwhile, the most common con of bang is the after taste, although it has more flavors then reign, many people complain that the aftertaste of Bang energy drinks is not as good as it should be or rather it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Many other people avoid bang and just simply consume Reign as Bang has creatine, and people are still not aware of the properties of said ingredient, which bores fear in their heart, a human is naturally scared of the unknown.